Spiritus Christi Church – We offer a vibrant spiritual community with dedicated parishioners.
The Position: At Spiritus Christi Church, we recognize Jesus as our Senior Pastor. With Jesus as our mentor, we are looking for a full-time, energetic church pastor with a strong faith and a compassionate heart. She/he needs to have a vision for serving the poor and feel prayerfully called to lead the spiritual life of the parish.
At Spiritus, we need a pastor with leadership and management experience to oversee our many ministries and outreaches. The position requires not only typical pastoral duties, such as preaching to the congregation, visiting the sick, marrying and burying parishioners, but also executive duties, such as working with the Visioning Board, Stewardship, Personnel and Parish Community Forum committees, advising the outreaches and in-reaches, and leading and training the staff. Our pastor works collaboratively with both staff and parishioners to develop ministries, set goals, implement policies, and supervise and support staff and volunteers. He/She represents our church in the wider Rochester community. The ideal candidate will be an ordained pastor who is rooted in the Catholic tradition, with education and experience in both Theology and Management. Consideration will also be given to highly qualified lay ministers.
Education: Completion of a Master of Theology or a Master of Divinity is preferred.
Who We Are: We are a Christ-centered Catholic community reaching beyond the institutional church to be inclusive of all. Jesus Christ is our Senior Pastor; therefore, we open our church as a spiritual refuge. We hold the Eucharist as the center of our sacramental life. We embrace the challenge of the scriptures. We are ordinary people joyously celebrating the opportunity to follow Jesus’ radical message of unconditional love.
Spiritus Christi is an inclusive, mission-driven Catholic Church in Rochester, New York, with a membership of 1,500 people. We officially became an independent Catholic centered church in 1999 after the Roman Catholic Diocese of Rochester, under pressure from Rome, fired the leaders of the church and ended our inclusive practices. The Vatican found fault with the prominent role of women on the altar during our liturgies, the celebration of gay and lesbian weddings, and the invitation to everyone to participate in the Eucharist.
Since its inception, Spiritus Christi has provided outreaches to the poor in Rochester, including people in prison and/or recently released from prison, people with mental illness and people recovering from addiction. We have two international outreaches: one in Chiapas, Mexico and one in Borgne, Haiti.
Many of our in-reach ministries have sprouted from the passions of our parishioners, such as our anti-racism movement, tutoring program, and monthly luncheons where refugees can practice English with supportive new friends. We offer religious education to our children, junior high and senior high youth ministry, marriage preparation for engaged couples, and Caring Connection services to parishioners in need of support. We also have adult education programs, prayer/meditation evenings and a Mother Earth Community. We celebrate daily mass and have three masses on the weekend.
Spiritus Christi rests on the pillars of inclusivity based on Jesus’ promise, “I will not reject anyone who comes to me” (John 6:37) and Jesus’ work with the poor, “When I was hungry and you gave me something to eat… a stranger and you invited me in… in prison and you came to visit me.” (Mt 25:35-37)
What We Will Offer You:
• Spiritus Christi is a well-established community with three well-attended weekend services and daily masses (including an ecumenical mass).
• Our religious education and youth ministry are vibrant.
• We have a dedicated and experienced staff.
• We have talented and dedicated volunteers.
• We have extraordinary musicians and four regularly performing music groups.
• We have a passion for justice and a willingness to work on important issues.
• We choose to have no investments, but rather to live on the daily generosity of our parishioners and the surprises of God’s grace. We share offices and a sanctuary with a United Presbyterian congregation and rent a facility for our large Sunday mass.
• We celebrate in the Catholic tradition without fear or rigidity.
• Our next pastor will have the benefit of being assisted by our three Associate Pastors.
The Location: Spiritus Christi Church is based in Rochester NY, a great place to live:
• We are home to several nationally recognized higher educational institutions (Colgate Rochester Crozer Divinity School, Rochester Institute of
Technology, The National Technical Institute for the Deaf, University of Rochester, SUNY Geneseo, Eastman School of Music, Nazareth College,
St. John Fisher College and Roberts Wesleyan College).
• We have a rich history of social justice advocacy with Susan B. Anthony, Frederick Douglass and the Underground Railroad.
• We have five area high schools ranked in the top 50 in the country, yet our city school district remains one of the poorest in the country.
• Our agricultural surrounding counties host a large population of migrant workers.
• Western New York has four distinct seasons and boasts a variety of outdoor activities for children and adults.
• The world-renowned Eastman School of Music attracts students and professional musicians, providing an abundance of free concerts as well as professional top nameperformers.
• We are located in the Finger Lakes region, one of the largest wine-producing areas in the country.
• World-famous freshwater lakes, rivers and streams, along with gorges, mountains and other natural beauty surround us.
• We are within six hours of Toronto, Boston, New York City and Cleveland.
• Rochester hosts many festivals and marathons during the year including the International Jazz Festival, the Fringe Festival, the Afrikan American Festival, the Puerto Rican Festival, the Rochester Marathon and the Corn Hill Arts Festival.
• We are a city of challenges with 34% of the population living in poverty.
How to Apply:
Please send a cover letter explaining why you want to be our pastor and describe the pastoral ministry and leadership/management experience you have. Include a resume showing your specific academic credentials and activities that qualify you for this unique position. Please provide three references who can discuss your pastoral and management skills.
To help us better understand your communication style and theological interpretations, we ask you to submit a recorded homily or sermon of 10-20 minutes. We also ask you to write a 200 word “Pastor’s Reflection” that might be included in a weekly newsletter.
You are welcome to contact: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Send Materials to:
Spiritus Christi Hiring Committee
121 N. Fitzhugh St.
Rochester, NY 14614
Preferred Deadline for Application: May 2, 2018
Salary commensurate with experience and a generous benefits package.
Spiritus Christi is an equal opportunity employer.