“Challenging the Religion of Thinness: Affirming the Beauty of Women’s Bodies”4:30 pm“Challenging the Religion of Thinness: Affirming the Beauty of Women’s Bodies”
The 16th Helen Barrett Montgomery Conference – November 8-10, 2012
Keynote Speaker: Dr. Michelle M. Lelwica
Dr. Lelwica is currently Associate Professor in the Religion Department at Concordia College in Moorhead, MN, where she teaches classes that deal with embodiment, mindfulness, religion, gender and cultural critique. She studied religion at Harvard Divinity School, where she received her Doctorate of Theology (Th.D.) in Religion, Gender and Culture in 1996.
She is renowned for her work Starving for Salvation: The Spiritual Dimensions of Eating Problems among American Girls and Women (Oxford, 1999), which is an academic analysis of the religious and cultural underpinnings of eating disorders and related problems. She has also published a number of scholarly articles, delivered papers and lectured widely on the role of religion and spirituality in women’s conflicted relationship to food and their bodies. Her most recent title is Religion of Thinness: Satisfying the Spiritual Hungers behind Women’s Obsession with Food and Weight. You can order it online at bulimia.com.
PRE-CONFERENCE EVENT: The International Association of Women Ministers (IAWM) North East Region
- DATE:Thursday, Nov. 8, 2012
- TIME:11:00 am - 3:00 pm (Lunch served at 12:00 noon)
- COST: $25
To reserve a space for the IAWM Gathering and Luncheon, please contact Linda Brebner at email@example.com, or call (585)473-1414.
- Thursday, Nov. 8 / Cost: $75
- 4:30 p.m.-5:30 p.m., Opening Worship Service, Samuel Colgate Memorial Chapel, Rev. Carrie Mitchell, Preacher (Presbyterian); 6:00 p.m. – 9:00 p.m., Dinner and WOV Awards; Keynote, Q&A, Refectory
- Friday, Nov. 9 / Cost: $50
- 8:30 a.m. – 9:15 a.m., Hospitality, Kraushaar Commons; 9:30 a.m. –10:30 a.m., Opening Worship Service, Samuel Colgate Memorial Chapel, Rev. Jennifer Zogg, Preacher (Episcopalian); 10:30 a.m. – 12:00 p.m., “Images in Religious Traditions”,
- Q & A, Dr. Michelle Lelwica, 12:30 p.m.-1:30 p.m. Lunch, Refectory/ Book Signing, CRCDS Bookstore
- 2:00 p.m. – 4:00 p.m., Panel Discussion
- Saturday, Nov. 10 / Cost: $25
- 8:30 a.m. – 9:15 a.m., Hospitality, Kraushaar Commons; 9:30 a.m. – 10:30 a.m., Worship Service, Colgate Memorial Chapel, Rev. Vonda Fossitt, Preacher, (United Methodist); 10:30 a.m. – 12:00 p.m., Film: “Miss Representation”, Conversation & Response
REGISTRATION IS CLOSED
Colgate Rochester Crozer Divinity School, 1100 S. Goodman Street, Rochester, NY 14620