McLean Baptist Church (MBC) seeks to call an individual to minister with a Christ-centered church community to serve God and our world. We seek an experienced, compassionate, Senior Pastor who – as leader of our ministerial team – will help our congregation grow in Christian faith and discipleship.
MBC is a fellowship of moderate Baptists, which also includes Christians who come from other denominations—striving to be an inclusive community that celebrates Christ by serving our world. We want to be a missions-committed church of people who desire to serve God and nurture people regardless of their backgrounds or previous religious experience.
Senior Pastor Responsibilities
• Worship, Pastoral Care and Ministry: The Senior Pastor coordinates and directs the church’s worship services and programs. Both excellent preaching and a commitment to pastoral care are high expectations of the church community. The Senior Pastor should be one of us, part of the church family and will be accessible to all, with an open door. Pastoral care includes home and hospital visitation; follow up visits and phone calls; conducting weddings, baby dedications and funerals; and personal counseling. Pastoral care will extend to others in the surrounding area who seek the church’s help.
• Spiritual Enrichment and Faith Formation: In cooperation with the church ministerial team, other staff, Deacons and other church members, the Senior Pastor plans and directs a comprehensive program of Christian education intended for the spiritual enrichment of the membership. The Senior Pastor works with members of the ministerial team to challenge and encourage individuals in their spiritual growth and active church membership.
• Outreach: The Senior Pastor guides the church in promoting a robust, ongoing ministry of outreach to the church’s home community.
• Administration Leadership-Staff Supervision: The Senior Pastor is responsible for the orderly, efficient, and fiscally sound management of the church in cooperation with other staff ministers, Deacons and members of the Church Leadership Council. The Senior Pastor serves as an ex officio member of church committees, provides assistance to church officers and committees, and coordinates church-wide planning. The Senior Pastor oversees, trains, and encourages growth and development of the church ministerial team and other staff; makes recommendations to the Personnel Committee regarding compensation and other personnel actions. The Senior Pastor should periodically meet with ministerial and administrative staff to discuss work performance issues and give constructive feedback and support to help staff members succeed.
• Church Representation: The Senior Pastor represents the church at the association, state, national and International levels of denominational activity, in community and ecumenical programs. The church is affiliated with the Baptist World Alliance, the NorthStar Church Network and the Cooperative Baptist Fellowship.
Senior Pastor Attributes and Skills
• The Senior Pastor will exhibit excellent pulpit skills; will engage in ongoing study, prayer and continuing education in preparation for leadership;
• The Senior Pastor will possess a sound Christian belief system with an appreciation and understanding of Baptist heritage; exhibit maturity in Christian faith, be ecumenical in outlook and moderate in theology; communicate clearly the faith journey that led to a call to ministry;
• The Senior Pastor will be knowledgeable in Biblical studies and current scholarly research in Biblical history;
• The Senior Pastor will demonstrate humility and willingness to compromise to achieve goals and show appreciation for the contributions of others to the life of the church;
• The Senior Pastor will work well within a team of ministers, volunteers and church members to further the church’s vision and mission and will be inclusive of others;
• The Senior Pastor will communicate effectively; make clear and convincing oral presentations; listen to others, attend to nonverbal clues and respond appropriately;
• The Senior Pastor will be organized and efficient in written communication; be proficient in usage of web-based networking tools and be computer literate;
• The Senior Pastor will coordinate with other organizations; monitor progress, evaluate outcomes; work cooperatively with others; demonstrate maturity and willingness to compromise;
• The Senior Pastor will Identify problems and use sound judgment to generate and evaluate alternative solutions and to make recommendations;
• The Senior Pastor will demonstrate responsible behavior; exercise good judgment in all matters, show understanding, courtesy, tact, empathy, concern and ability to deal with people who have widely differing opinions and are at different stages in their faith journeys.
Education and Work Experience Required
The church prefers the successful candidate to have a doctoral degree in ministry or doctorate of theology or doctorate of philosophy from a respected seminary and/or university. The successful candidate must have a Seminary degree and a work history which includes a minimum of 10 years’ experience in church employment.
This is a full-time position with benefits, and is available after September, 2012. Primary job location is McLean Baptist Church in McLean, VA.
How to Apply
Submit resume via email to:
No phone calls please.