Date Posted January 3, 2013
Job Type Ministry
Position Title Senior Pastor
Position Description This senior executive position requires a mature faith in Jesus Christ, a deep passion for people and community as well as strong leadership skills. He/She will supervise the pastoral staff and lay leadership teams as well as oversee, develop and grow all ministries of the church. The Pastor must be a person of God, and devoted to His word and teachings with a calling to urban ministry.
The Church of the Redeemer is a place to worship, a place devoted to community activities and affairs; and a place to spiritually, morally, educationally, socially, economically, and politically embrace and enrich the total life of human beings as taught by Jesus Christ. This church was founded on the belief and practice based on the words of Jesus, “Whosoever will, let him come,” without reverence or regard to appearance, color, race, dress, knowledge, age, or economic status. Currently, the church has a membership of 1600.
Relationships – The Pastor must have the ability to lead and inspire the church congregation to new levels of commitment, discipline and discipleship. The Pastor must also serve the community at large and help enrich humankind spiritually, politically, educationally, socially, morally and economically.
Vision Casting – With the Lord’s inspiration, the Pastor will build upon Redeemer’s foundation and work with church leaders and congregation to develop a new vision. With patience, love and conviction, the Pastor will work with the congregation to gain understanding, consensus and ownership of this renewed vision.
- The Pastor is to preach both of the Sunday Morning services. The pastor should also lead the Wednesday Bible Study, though he/she may delegate the teaching portion as needed.
- The Pastor is to work with the Worship Team leader in preparing appropriate worship services. These services should be well prepared, honoring to the Lord, and in a form that is most suitable for our congregation.
- The Pastor is to regularly lead the congregation in the Lord’s Supper. This should be done at least once per month. The pastor should also lead in regard to baptisms. This should be offered quarterly.
- The Pastor is to be available and willing to perform weddings and funerals as needed.
- The Pastor is responsible for all administration of the church and will work closely with the executive board and the Business Manager.
- The Pastor will be an ex/officio member of all church ministries, committees and boards.
- The Pastor will lead the congregations in discipling. The pastor will lead the members in developing the spiritual disciplines, developing a comprehensive discipleship strategy, and plan for implementation. The pastor will train and delegate discipleship leaders.
- The Pastor will lead the church in missions’ ministry on the local, national, and international levels.
- The Pastor will oversee the Christian Education of all ages. This includes Sunday School classes, youth, and adult education. The pastor may delegate responsibilities to volunteers in the church.
- The Pastor will provide short-term counseling as needed. The pastor will be available and responsive to crisis situations. The pastor will provide pastoral care and/or delegate as deemed effective.
- The Pastor should be available for evening activities as well as work on the weekends. This position requires great flexibility in time schedule.
- Must be a Christian and a licensed and ordained Baptist Minister.
- Must be a graduate from an accredited Theological Seminary or Divinity School with a Master of Divinity Degree.
- Minimum 5 years in a fulltime pastor position, preferably experienced in leading a large congregation.
- Have a mature faith in Jesus Christ and a strong commitment to serve the Lord through the church and community.
- Must be a team player with strong leadership and communication skills within a large congregational context.
- Must possess strong gifting in teaching and preaching the Word of God.
- Must be energetic, resourceful and innovative in ministry as well as leadership development.
- Must have strong relational skills and compassionate understanding of personal issues.
Compensation: Compensation will be commensurate with experience and church resources; benefits to include individual or family health insurance, dental, vision, and 403B retirement option and vacation.
Application Packet must include: A Letter of Interest, Resume, 2 DVDs of applicant’s preaching and Application to be downloaded from the church’s website and submitted by mail to:
The Church of the Redeemer Baptist C/O Transition Team 1440 S. 24th Street Philadelphia PA 19146
Hours per week: Full Time
Affiliations: ABC (American Baptist Churches) USA
Church/ Ministry Name The Church of the Redeemer, Baptist
City, State/ Province: Philadelphia, PA 19146
Email Address: TCOTRB@gmail.com
Website URL: http://thechurchoftheredeemerbaptist.org/
Additional Info: All application packets must be postmarked by Friday, March 1, 2013