Long-time CRCDS supporter and friend, pastor and community activist Rev. Dr. James L. Cherry Jr. recently announced his retirement from Aenon Baptist Church located at 175 Genesee Street, Rochester, New York. A celebration for Dr. Cherry and his wife, Mrs. Eunice Cherry, will be held at the Rochester Riverside Convention Center on October 10, 2014. Information about the event and tickets may be purchased here: http://www.aenonbaptistchurch.org/
Dr. Cherry, a Pennsylvania native, has been a minster for 54 years and a tireless advocate for his community. He was installed as pastor at Aenon Baptist Church on July 6, 1981. A partial list of Dr. Cherry's accomplishments during his service include:
- Paying off the first mortgage of the church, located at 175 Genesee Street
- Establishing the Aenon Christian Education Department
- Instituting the Children's Church, Youth Church Ministry and Performing Arts Ministry
- Implementing the Male Chorus and the Psalms of Praise Choir Ministries
- Developing an Evangelism Ministry
- Launching the church's website
- Strong community activism and support of groups, causes and events, including involvement with Urban League, Habitat for Humanity, Crop Walk, Scouting, Black Leadership Commission on AIDS, Community Health Awareness Food Kitchen, Monroe County Women's Health Partnership Program and United Way. In addition, Dr. Cherry has championed several community initiatives allowing individuals coping with addiction, poverty, prejudice and homelessness to find a way to overcome these obstacles and who have since become role models and mentors for others, especially youth.
The CRCDS community is proud and grateful to have the support and friendship of Dr. and Mrs. Cherry, and wishes them many happy and healthy years ahead.