Position Title: Communications Coordinator
Department: Institutional Advancement Office
Reports To: Vice President for Institutional Advancement
Hours: 25 hours per week
Position Availability: November, 2013
The Communications Coordinator is responsible for creatively telling the CRCDS story to the school's many different audiences by creating, identifying and assisting staff and faculty members in developing content for the school's digital outlets and print publications. Exercising confidence with popular social media platforms, email clients like MailChimp and the WordPress content management system, the Communications Coordinator is creative in coming up with newsworthy stories that are in synch with the school's fundraising, enrollment and event promotion objectives. Outgoing and responsive, the Communications Coordinator understands how to communicate the school's brand in unique ways that speak to the needs and values of the school's different audience groups.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities (Essential Functions)
- Manage and execute weekly, monthly and annual communications schedules for school.
- Write or source content for website, e-newsletters and print publications.
- Identify newsworthy stories in student, faculty, alumni/ae and community activities.
- Identify and craft content for social media channels.
- Stand as main contact point for media inquiries.
- Write and issue press releases to media outlets.
- Manage and update website following requests from staff and faculty.
- Promotion of CRCDS events and lectures.
- Manage production schedule of regular print publications: annual report and two issues of The CRCDS Bulletin.
- Provide lead editorial on print publications.
- Copyedit materials that are created by other CRCDS staff.
- Lead monthly Communications Committee meetings.
- Support faculty and students in creating blog content for use on website.
- Perform interviews with students, alumni/ae and other individuals as needed.
- Attend and cover school events and lectures with live tweeting and posts to the CRCDS Facebook page.
- Take photos at events.
- Manage digital roll-out for event promotion and registration.
- Collaborate with other departments on specific projects as needed.
- Assist with event set-up and guest greeting as requested.
Required Qualifications and Skills
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited school. Master’s degree preferred.
- Proven professional writing skills–must have portfolio of writing samples demonstrating a variety of voices and audiences.
- 3-4 years experience in a communications, public relations, journalism, media or marketing.
- Copyediting experience using Chicago Manual of Style standards.
- Significant experience communicating to a range of different audiences.
- Proven track record of working well both cooperatively and independently.
Preferred Qualifications and Skills
- Basic familiarity with HTML coding. PHP experience preferred, but not required.
- Basic graphic design skills using the Adobe Creative Suite, GIMP or a similar program.
- Experience using the WordPress web platform.
- Photography and video editing experience a plus.
To apply, send Resume and Cover Letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.