Position Description: 2016-17 Program Assistant Stipended Residency for Seminarian, Graduate Assistant, or Mid-Career Professional on Leave
Tantur Ecumenical Institute: an Oasis of Learning, Community, and Hospitality
Summary of Responsibilities: Assists the Program Director with a wide range of tasks related to continuing education programs, outside groups, and related activities. May be assigned tasks across departments as needs arise, though focus will be on programs.
Supervision: Reports most directly to the Program Director.
Hours: The position is full-time. Hours will vary significantly day to day and week to week according to itineraries, and the Program Assistant will also participate in the rotation for evening coverage and overnight on-call coverage.
- Participate fully early on in 4-6 weeks of one of Tantur’s Continuing Education Programs, while also frequently staffing the “front end” of the program. The person staffing the “front end” of a program performs duties such as greeting participants and corresponding with them mid-program, introducing speakers, setting up and taking down a/v, assisting guides, making payments, gathering receipts, calling drivers and speakers to confirm arrangements, counting participants during excursions, answering participant questions, assessing program elements, sharing input with the director and liaising when needed, etc.
- During these 4 -6 weeks, other responsibilities will be assigned outside of program time as needed to fill out a full-time position. However, full participation in the program for these weeks is intended as a form of orientation, education, and compensation simultaneously.
- Continue to staff the front end of programs with regularity for duration of the appointment to this position. (These duties will be shared with other staff, but this will be a core role.)
- Participate in the life of the community: attend ecumenical community prayers regularly, help organize ecumenical prayers, and lead on occasion; offer hospitality and companionship to guests; participate in community meals and conversations; participate in – and occasionally plan – events that help animate the campus, such as movie and game nights, etc.
- Participate regularly in program office meetings.
- Participate in rotation for evening and overnight on-call coverage at Tantur. (Staff evening prayer, greet whole community at dinner, assist front desk staff in case of overnight guest illness, etc.)
- Assist with administrative projects, such as researching and organizing information for projects and programs, creating and compiling surveys, compiling receipts and vouchers, creating resource documents for guests, etc. May assist occasionally with planning programs.
- Provide some “runner” assistance at panels, conferences, other events.
- Depending on institutional needs and your background, you may be asked to work across departments at times. This could include tasks such as helping in the library, or even occasional emergency help in the kitchen, front desk, etc. However, your main focus will be on programs.
- Contribute to the overall stewardship of the physical space, programming, and community life.
- Additional responsibilities as needs arise.
- Round-trip basic economy travel to Jerusalem.
- Free room and board at Tantur, and when on assigned programmed excursions.
- Free participation in 4 – 6 weeks of one of Tantur’s Continuing Education / Sabbatical Programs. (Will continue to participate with some regularity thereafter.)
- Stipend of $300 per month spending money, which can also be paid in local currency.
- Local cell phone and data plan.
- As needed, up to $185 per month reimbursement for traveler’s or health insurance premiums, and up to $500 reimbursement for out-of-pocket health expenses that might arise while serving.
- Three weeks of vacation time over the course of the appointment, ideally to be taken outside of program times and at a time mutually agreed upon with the Program Director.
Dates: Preferred dates are June 1, 2016 to August 7, 2017. However, if your availability differs from these dates, please indicate the dates of your availability when you apply.
Apply: Please send brief letter of interest – along with and CV or Résumé – by email to the attention of Jeff VonWald, Program Director, using email@example.com. Priority consideration will be given to applications received by Feb 3, 2016. Applications will continue to be considered until position is filled.