The American Baptist Churches of Los Angeles, Southwest and Hawaii (ABCOFLASH) is
seeking qualified candidates for the position of Executive Minister to lead our multinational,
multi-cultural, multi-generational Region. The Executive Minister serves as the
Region Pastor, Staff Ministry Team Leader, Chief Financial Officer as well as the liaison to
the American Baptist Churches USA. The successful candidate should possess the gifts,
skills, and experiences necessary to lead a culturally diverse, geographically widespread
network of pastors and leaders of more than 150 congregations and related ministries.
The Executive Minister shall be responsible to the Region Board of Directors and shall
operate under its authority and within the limits set by its policies. The Executive
Minister shall fulfill the specific responsibilities set forth in the ABCOFLASH Constitution
and Bylaws. The new Executive Minister must be willing to locate within the proximity of
the Regional Resource Center. The Executive Minister will assist the Region Board as well as the ABCOFLASH staff to refine, shape and implement the Region’s Mission and Vision for continued growth based upon the Strategic Initiatives.
The successful candidate should possess the following qualifications:
1. Have a deep personal relationship to Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior and a calling
by God to this Ministry.
2. Have at least an earned Master’s degree from a fully accredited school of
theology (Master of Divinity or its equivalent is preferred).
3. Shall have a minimum of 5-10 years of professional leadership participation in the
life of ABCUSA.
4. Hold a recognized ABC ordination, committed to the Code of Ethics for
5. Model a personal Christian lifestyle which demonstrates the gifts of spiritual
commitment based on continued study of the Bible, empowered by the Holy
6. Shall have a demonstrated history of operating within the parameters of
a. Accept direction/authority of Board of Directors
b. Work closely with the Board of Directors (implementing existing and
developing future vision, strategic plan, etc.)
c. Governance knowledge and skills
d. Adhere to corporate ethics
7. Shall possess the following interpersonal skills
a. Knowing one’s own strengths and weaknesses
b. Open to change/open minded
c. Relates well to all cultures
e. Good motivator
f. Pastoral relationships
g. Good Communication skills – written and oral.
8. Have an understanding and appreciation for other languages, ethnic groups, and
cultural settings as well as provide opportunities for all to be welcomed to the life
9. Must be able to travel within the Region on a regular basis and ABCUSA events
as prescribed by the position or as directed by the Board of Directors.
DESIRED, BUT NOT REQUIRED
1. Have experience in leadership of ecclesiastical ministry in a setting beyond the
local church (e.g., Regional or National, ecumenical board or staff).
2. Have demonstrated abilities in supervising paid and volunteer personnel,
planning and management, and in nurturing relationships with individuals and
3. Have knowledge of how churches work.
4. Be a problem solver.
5. Ability to make informed decisions.
6. Willing to delegate.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
In addition to being the Chief Financial Officer of the Region, a selected candidate will
be the Executive Minister responsible for reporting to the Board of Directors and should
be familiar with the duties set forth in the constitution.
The Executive Minister shall be the principal administrative officer of the Region and of
the Board, under the jurisdiction and supervision of the Board.
The Executive Minister shall be an ex-officio member of the Board and of all committees,
task groups and working teams and shall coordinate and assist in their work.
The Executive Minister shall be responsible for hiring and supervising, following the
policies of the Board, all ministerial and office staff.
The Executive Minister shall act as representative of the Region at all functions wherein
the Region’s policies may be impacted but shall commit the Region only as directed by
its Board, its Executive Committee or other authorized agents of the Region.
The Executive Minister shall fulfill all of the job descriptions developed by the Board of
Interested persons should submit an application and the following via confidential email
1. Statement of Faith
3. American Baptist Personnel Services (ABPS), if enrolled and available.
4. Authorization form for Background Check
5. Signed ABCUSA Code of Ethics
Please do not include audio-visual materials. The Succession Team will request
appropriate supporting documentation from persons moving to the next level for
To be determined based on qualifications and experience.
If you wish to nominate someone who you feel meets these qualifications, please send
your nomination by confidential email (SuccessionTeam@abcoflash.org) by April 15,
1. Nomination Deadline: April 15, 2017
2. Application Deadline: May 1, 2017
Download Succession Profile: ABCOFLASH REGIONAL SUCCESSION PROFILE – February 2017
Download Covenant and Code of Ethics: Code of Ethics
Download Background Check Form: Background Verification Form