Please direct all inquiries to Rich Ives at: email@example.com.
- The pulpit supply person would be required to prepare and deliver the sermon or message for the service. The message should be approximately 20 minutes in length (could be shorter, but shouldn’t be much longer). Although our worship team is charged with preparing the other portions of the service, we have always left it open if the pulpit supply wants to take more of the service. Worship services are generally “themed” with each of the parts related in some way to the message. To that end, we give the pulpit supply person the opportunity to construct the service parts and then inform our church secretary so she can put the Sunday bulletin together. If the pulpit supply person wants to prepare parts of the service, he/she needs to get the information to our secretary no later than the Tuesday prior to the Sunday the person is preaching. This should not be a problem, because the pulpit supply person will know long in advance which Sunday he/she will be preaching. Sample bulletin may be downloaded here.
- We provide a worship leader who will assist with the worship service. When the pulpit supply person arrives at the church (at least 1/2 hour prior to the service), he/she and a member of our Consistory will help familiarize the pulpit supply person with the church. The worship leader will introduce the pulpit supply person to the congregation and will lead all the parts of the service that the pulpit supply person doesn’t. One special part of our service is the “Prayers of the People” where individuals in the congregation can ask for prayers or offer words of praise and thanks as the worship leader jots the information down at the pulpit. Those prayers are then included in the prayer followed by the Lord’s Prayer.
- In addition to a worship leader, we have a member of the congregation read the scripture for the day unless the pulpit supply person wants to take that part. Some do because it relates to the message.
- We have an organ, a choir, and a praise band who provide the music for each of our services. They select the songs of praise and the hymns for each of the services.
- We have a projection and sound system in our sanctuary. All the parts of the service are displayed on the screen including prayers, hymns, responsive readings, etc. The pulpit supply person will be offered an “over-the-ear” hands-free mike for use during the service. There are also mikes at the pulpits.
- At the end of the service, we like to have the pulpit supply greet the people as they leave.
- At present, we pay the pulpit supply person $100.00 for a worship service. There is a proposal to raise that to $150 which will be acted upon at the December meeting of the Consistory.
- Each worship service is followed by a coffee/cookie time in the narthex.