The First Presbyterian Church of Westernville, NY, founded in 1818, is seeking a full-time pastor for its congregation of about 80 members. Westernville is a village in Oneida County NY – just a 45 minute drive from the Adirondack Mountains. More information about the church and its Mission Study may be found on their website at www.westernvillepresbyterian.org. If you have interest in this position, please contact their Clerk of Session, Steve Smits, at 315-281-0484 or email@example.com. Or you may also contact Floyd Olney, Chair of the PNC firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please direct all inquiries to Rich Ives at: email@example.com.
- The pulpit supply person would be required to prepare and deliver the sermon or message for the service. The message should be approximately 20 minutes in length (could be shorter, but shouldn’t be much longer). Although our worship team is charged with preparing the other portions of the service, we have always left it open if the pulpit supply wants to take more of the service. Worship services are generally “themed” with each of the parts related in some way to the message. To that end, we give the pulpit supply person the opportunity to construct the service parts and then inform our church secretary so she can put the Sunday bulletin together. If the pulpit supply person wants to prepare parts of the service, he/she needs to get the information to our secretary no later than the Tuesday prior to the Sunday the person is preaching. This should not be a problem, because the pulpit supply person will know long in advance which Sunday he/she will be preaching. Sample bulletin may be downloaded here.
- We provide a worship leader who will assist with the worship service. When the pulpit supply person arrives at the church (at least 1/2 hour prior to the service), he/she and a member of our Consistory will help familiarize the pulpit supply person with the church. The worship leader will introduce the pulpit supply person to the congregation and will lead all the parts of the service that the pulpit supply person doesn’t. One special part of our service is the “Prayers of the People” where individuals in the congregation can ask for prayers or offer words of praise and thanks as the worship leader jots the information down at the pulpit. Those prayers are then included in the prayer followed by the Lord’s Prayer.
- In addition to a worship leader, we have a member of the congregation read the scripture for the day unless the pulpit supply person wants to take that part. Some do because it relates to the message.
- We have an organ, a choir, and a praise band who provide the music for each of our services. They select the songs of praise and the hymns for each of the services.
- We have a projection and sound system in our sanctuary. All the parts of the service are displayed on the screen including prayers, hymns, responsive readings, etc. The pulpit supply person will be offered an “over-the-ear” hands-free mike for use during the service. There are also mikes at the pulpits.
- At the end of the service, we like to have the pulpit supply greet the people as they leave.
- At present, we pay the pulpit supply person $100.00 for a worship service. There is a proposal to raise that to $150 which will be acted upon at the December meeting of the Consistory.
- Each worship service is followed by a coffee/cookie time in the narthex.
The American Baptist Churches of New York State (ABCNYS) invite CRCDS students and alumni to consider ministry opportunities around upstate New York. The ABCNYS Region serves 294 churches in a variety of ministry settings, urban and rural, suburban and small town. A number of our churches are dually aligned or in a federated or union relationship with varied mainline Protestant or other Baptist denominations. To learn more about our Region, visit www.abc-nys.org.
If you are interested in having your information shared with an ABCNYS search committee, please send a letter of interest along with an up-to-date American Baptist Personnel Services (ABPS) profile and three current professional references knowledgeable of your ministry skills and experience to: Rev. Jerrod Hugenot, Associate Executive Minister 518/380-4510 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Mailing address: 115 Hazelhurst Avenue, Albany, NY 12203
If you do not have a current ABPS profile, please contact the American Baptist Region with which your local church membership is affiliated. If you are not currently aligned with ABC/USA, please send a resume detailing skills, experience, and three professional references along with your affiliation and standing with your current denomination.
For more information about ABCNYS search and call support, visit: http://www.abc-nys.org/who-we-are/regional-enhancement-team/ret-clergy-placement
Main Line Unitarian Church in Devon, PA is seeking a full-time Director of Religious Education. Send cover letter and résumé by May 10, 2014 to: email@example.com.
Detailed information about the position and application requirements may be found at the following links:
Large, metropolitan, socially active Presbyterian church, with a long-standing commitment to an active, visible ministry of music, seeks a full-time Associate Director of Music. This is an integral part of our total worship and Christian education program. Responsibilities include directing a graded choir program for children, directing and overseeing multiple hand bell choirs, and working with the Director of Music/Organist in a comprehensive music and arts ministry.
Experience working with children is essential. Bachelor’s degree in music is required, with
three to five years’ experience working in a church music program. Salary is commensurate with skills and experience. For full position description click here. For more information about the church and its programs, visit www.thirdpresbyterian.org .
Send letter of interest with a resumé including three professional references to:
Chair, Associate Director of Music Search Committee
c/o Third Presbyterian Church
4 Meigs Street
Rochester, New York 14607
Position to begin Summer, 2014. Application deadline is May 15, 2014.